Citizenship Program

  • Processing Time

    12 - 14 Months

  • Age

    Above 20

  • Type

    Atlantic Immigration Program


Atlantic Immigration Program

The Atlantic Immigration Program is a pathway to permanent residence for skilled foreign workers and international graduates from a Canadian institution who want to work and live in 1 of Canada’s 4 Atlantic provinces—New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or Newfoundland and Labrador. The program helps employers hire qualified candidates for jobs they haven’t been able to fill locally.

The Atlantic Immigration Program replaced the Atlantic Immigration Pilot. You can now submit your permanent residence application to the program.

About the program

The Atlantic Immigration Program helps you hire qualified candidates for jobs you haven’t been able to fill locally. These candidates can be overseas residents.

Before you can make a job offer to a candidate, you must first become designated by the provincial government of the Atlantic province where the candidate will be working.

Once you’ve offered a job and the candidate has accepted, there are several steps that you and the candidate need to complete. If you and the candidate meet all the requirements, the candidate may then apply for permanent resident status in Canada.

Apply to the province to become designated

  • Each province has its own application process. There is no cost to become a designated employer. You can find applications to become designated on the provinces’
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Nova Scotia
  • Prince Edward Island

Work Experience

  • In the last 5 years, you must have worked at least 1,560 hours. This is the number of hours you would have worked in 1 year if you were working 30 hours per week.
  • To calculate your hours
  • Count hours worked in part-time and full-time jobs.
  • Count only paid hours of work. Volunteering or unpaid internships don’t count.
  • Don’t count hours when you were self-employed.
  • Count hours worked inside or outside Canada. You must have been legally authorized to work in Canada as a temporary resident.
  • Count hours that were accumulated over a period of at least 12 months.
  • Count work experience acquired while studying, as long as the work hours don’t exceed what was authorized.
  • This work should be at one of these National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels
  • NOC Skill Type 0 (management jobs such as restaurant managers, mine managers)
  • NOC Skill Level A (professional jobs that usually need a degree from a university, such as doctors, dentists, architects)
  • NOC Skill Level B (technical jobs and skilled trades such as chefs, electricians, plumbers)
  • NOC Skill Level C (intermediate jobs that usually call for high school and/or job-specific training, such as industrial butchers, long-haul truck drivers, food and beverage servers)
  • Your work experience must include
  • the actions in the description of your NOC
  • most of the main duties of your NOC

Educational Requirements

You must have one of these:

  • If you have a job offer at the NOC 0 or A skill type or level, you must have a Canadian one-year post-secondary educational credential or higher, or the equivalent outside Canada.
  • If you have a job offer at the NOC B or C skill level, you must have a Canadian high school diploma, or the equivalent outside Canada.
  • However, if you studied outside Canada, you need an educational credential assessment (ECA) to confirm that your studies are equal to or higher than the required level of education for your job offer.
  • Your ECA report must be less than 5 years old on the date we receive your application.

Language Requirements

  • You must meet the minimum language requirements based on the NOC category that applies to your job offer. This can either be the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC)
  • The minimum language requirements for each NOC category are CLB/NCLC 5 for NOC 0, A and B, CLB/NCLC 4 for NOC C
  • You must submit your results from a designated language testing organization with your application. These results must be less than 2 years old when you apply.